What is professional learning?
Growth in representational knowledge, learning through participation in social groups and learning as assemblages of knowledge practice (Mulcahy 2014)
How do we counter the systemic understanding of professional learning? How do we move from attending courses and completing assigned training?
How can I create a culture of coaching and learning?
How am I helping my PTs grow in their role?
How can I build capacity in everyone else? Do I just spend my time overseeing other people who are doing the work I have delegated to them?
How do we provide more bespoke professional learning? How do we cater for individual’s ‘zone of proximal development’?
Genuine peripheral participation (Wenger)
Reeves model discussion…
- Reflection on practice = moderation? Self evaluation of teaching? Planning reviews?
- Experiential learning = teacher leadership? Visiting other classrooms?
- Cognitive development = professional reading? Short N Sharp?
- Social learning = working groups? Cluster sessions?
- How do I make my plan a reality?
- Who has responsibility for professional learning?
- The 5Cs model?
- Need to have clarity about aims for individual
- Ethics – Connor and Pokora 2012, p228
- Use opportunities already present?
- How can we work more closely as a cluster?
Dialogical relationships (Vikunnen 2013)
- Consider creating a 360′ evaluation
- Need to consider how mentee is recording their own learning
- Achieve model for c+m
Moberg & Velasquez 2004 = 7 mentoring obligations – go through these explicitly with mentee??
- Could use PNI (positive, negative, interesting) to provide consistent discussion format for meetings.
- Working groups – are they managerial masquerading as organisational?
Teacher identity (Mockler) is an important part of coaching conversation
Clutterbuck & Megginson, 1999, Mentoring executives and directors
- See SCEL overview of professional learning
- Need to consider power relationships. How are / could they impact c&m?
- Dreyfus model?
- Consider individual session evaluations as evidence of learning
- HMIe – opportunities for leadership at all levels
- Be clear about the purposes of the c+m. For whom?
- Attitude questionnaire??
- CLEAR model?
- Levels of delegation…
- Need to ask myself lots of Why questions (Tripp) to aid my reflections and writings
- Coaching = asking the right questions. Mentoring = providing the right answers.
- DUE IN June 5000 words
- 4 parts = critical analysis / report on intervention (use subheadings) / critically reflective commentary (on self, on mentee, on wider setting) / critical reflection on own professional learning as a result of module.
- Remember sub-headings and signposting
- Remember to complete and update Personal Learning Plan.
- Need to have sufficient evidence of meetings (at least 6) to be able to critique in assignment
- Evidence of impact an be qualitative (written reflections, etc)
- If mentoring more than 1 person, need only use 1 individual for assignment
- Do I have to do assignment about coaching and mentoring or could I explore professional learning more widely?
- Include reference to the false starts and problematics of the coaching and mentoring
- When using a coaching model, be sure to critique the selected model. Why specific acronym?
- A situational analysis needs to form part of the assignment.
- Need to create a mentoring contract and reflect upon its creation and content.
- Make a specific reference to the 7 ethical considerations (Moberg and Valesquez)
- Reference working definitions of coaching / mentoring
- Explore mentoring and coaching and what it might / could / should look like. Critique!
- Ask Karla if I could c+m her in her new role as DHT?
- Reflect against standards in relation to new role / new perspective
- Fit into defined remit? Ethics? Contract?Model?
- Which coaching model will I adopt? Why?